Pages

Thursday, June 05, 2008

Home made Tortillas


We had the missionaries over for dinner yesterday and we wanted to have tacos. I didn't have any tortillas, and I didn't feel like going to the store with my four little monkeys, so I looked up a recipe on line for tortillas. Did you know that tortillas are just flour, shortening, baking soda and a little salt and water? Wow they taste different than store bought. I think I put too much salt in them. Luckily I had Tom buy some from the store on the way home from work.. I also cut some of them up and fried them to make chips... still too salty. I still want to try again and make some better tasting ones. Any of my spanish speaking brothers know of any good recipes?

3 comments:

Ben said...

Well, I don't speak spanish, but we made a lot of tortillas in our mission. We would have "burrito Fetes" all the time. We would make the tortillas, smash beans, etc. Problem is, I can't quite remember the recipe. It was really simple though. I think it was like: 1kg flour, 1 cup oil, 1 packet baking powder. But there might have been milk or water too. It's hard to tell if stuff I made on the mission was really good or if my standards were just really low since we always had to make our own food, and I had barely any experience doing that. Anyway, I'm sure that doesn't help at all, but I'll keep looking for the website that a companion of mine put up with our recipes.

Ben said...

So I found it. This isn't quite what I remember. I might just do 1tsp salt at most. This could be the same as you tried.
The website is:
http://www.ualberta.ca/~jerrya/FTMcookbook/

Tortilla Shells
1 C oil
1 C water
1 C milk
1 egg
1 kg flour
2-3 t salt

Combine dry ingredients, mix well, and drop in eggs and pour in liquids. Mix well with fork, then knead. Adding more flour if necessary. Break off small balls of dough and roll-out on floured surface with your rolling pin until very thin. Try to make them round. Fry on med-hi frying pan until nicely browned on both sides. Don’t burn.

Johnny and Jenette said...

Bueno, la receta de mi hermanito parece bien. La verdad es que yo no se como hacer tortillas, pues no las comen en Bolivia. Entonces si tienes una pregunta acerca de arroz o papas o saltenas ya me puedes preguntar. Como dicen los pacenos; Buen dia y hasta el proximo.
-Sleeples in B'ham

My Home Town

My Home Town
Tacoma at Night

Seattle, WA

Seattle, WA