Pages

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Dad went hunting

Ok, this post is not for Aunt Spring, .... :) but we're excited that Tom was able to go hunting for the first time this season. We even bought a freezer to keep it in. We're able to save alot of money on meat that way. We don't eat a ton of meat, but what we do use ground beef in a few dinners, and we like to have roasts on Sunday.


I told Tom that if he does hunt, I don't want to be able to tell it was once a deer. He has to bring it home looking like it came from the store... I know, I know.. remember I'm a city girl, and I have to take small steps.... :) I will not be posting a picture of the deer he got. I could barely look at the picture he took of it on his cell phone...


Anyway...so, he brought home the meat in a big cooler, and we just packaged it. We have a meat grinder attachment to our Kitchen Aid, and we made some ground venison with it. William particularly loved doing that part.



We have enjoyed quite a few dinners from our venison, including meatloaf. We could barely tell the difference between it and groundbeef. There's much less fat, and so it's much healthier.

2 comments:

Spring said...

Lol, since i was mentioned I can't help but comment :) I am only really against hunting when its done mostly for sport. here's a quote i like from george q cannon "We should by every means in our power impress upon the rising generation the value of life and how dreadful a sin it is to take a life. The lives of animals even should be held far more sacred than they are. Young people should be taught to be very merciful to the brute creation and not to take life wantonly or for sport. The practice of hunting and killing game merely for sport should be frowned upon and not encouraged among us. God has created the fowls and the beasts for man's convenience and comfort and for his consumption at proper times and under proper circumstances; but he does not justify men in wantonly killing those creatures which He has made and with which He has supplied the earth."

Jennifer Rose said...

Good quote. Since this was Tom's first time hunting, you can probably guess that it wasn't for sport. He's gone only one time since this time, and it was purely for food storage.

My Home Town

My Home Town
Tacoma at Night

Seattle, WA

Seattle, WA