Pages

Friday, February 20, 2009

Ugh

That's how I feel. Ugh. We've got this nasty virus going around our house right now. I usually have "mom immunity" and don't get the sicknesses our kids get. But I didn't escape it this time. High fever, headache, runny noise, sore throat, persistant cough. And it lasts a long time. Alan had a fever for a week. I know it's a virus because I took him to the Dr. two days after he got sick, and they put him on antibiotics because they weren't sure what it was. The antibiotics did nothing for him, because 5 days later he still had a fever. After the virus had run it's course, his symptoms disappeared completely. So, now he's all better, but the rest of us are suffering. Myself included. Ugh.

4 comments:

Johnny and Jenette said...

The reason Alan continued to have hyperpyrexia (fever) for 5 days is because he wasn't given an antipyretic medication (reduces fever; acetimenophen is an example)`. And it sounds like you're right about the virus because odds are the "antibiotic" was an antibacterial agent. Hope you feel better before we come;)

Jennifer Rose said...

Well of course we gave him acetaminophen and ibuprofin-alternating, but the fever kept coming back when we stopped until the virus had run it's course.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry your family is sick. :( We have had the flu this past week and it's still not gone yet. These bugs seem to be lasting forever lately!

I hope you feel better!

Ben said...

That stinks, I'm glad I haven't really been sick this season. I usually catch something. I wouldn't think the doctor should be giving an antibacterial when he doesn't know it's a bacteria he's fighting, I guess when you can't distinguish they just try whatever.

My Home Town

My Home Town
Tacoma at Night

Seattle, WA

Seattle, WA